05 July, 2010

Fairy Tale Childrens Book




Hansel & Gretel
Original Author: The Brothers Grimm
Retelling Author and Illustrator: Will Moses
Publisher: Philomel Books
ISBN: 0-399-24234-1


Good verses Evil. As most fairy tales from the past are told,that seems to be the on-going theme. From Little Red Riding Hood to Cinderella and then there's Hansel and Gretel. I chose this famous fairy tale because I heard of it but never knew the story that well. As I was reading this tale, I first thought of famine and darkness A family that is starving and the evil stepmother that wants to get rid of the children. I felt sorry for these children. Then a witch appears and wants to starve the children to eat them. Then Good prevails and the evil witch is burned alive in her stove. That story to me was dark and a little depressing.

After I thought about the story though I looked at the positive side of the story. The relationship of a brother and sister is shown as love and family bond that will never end. The challenges that these children go through are brave, courageous and adventurous and very witty. These children overcame adversity and ended up with a life of love and prosperity.

In the time period when most of these fairy tales were made, the harsh reality of famine and survival were rampant. I think fairy tales brought reality to life but ended it with a twist of compassion and happiness so people would have hope that with perseverance and love, life can be happy.

On a side note, by 9 year old daughter loved this fairy tale and was awestruck by the illustrations (as I was too). Oil pastel painting on 2 page pictures of lush forests and the gingerbread house was simply beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. This fairy is one that has been with me since the day it was read to me back in the day of first grade. It has left an impression with me, because I too have a younger brother and always envisioned this story with my brother and myself in it and conquering all the rough times of growing up together. It is true it is very dark and the good prevales in the end. Fairytales are a great way to teach morals and signigicant because children can relate to them themselves. What a story! I'll never forget the fear that was instilled in me from that wicked witch!

    ReplyDelete